Monday, September 21, 2009
Friday, September 11, 2009
cityMamas’ Affinity Group
September 2, 2009
12:00 – 1:30
Portland Development Commission – Commission Room
The meeting was hosted by Estee Segal and Lisa Gramp, who are both working mothers at PDC. Thanks!
Brief introductions and check-ins about what we’re dealing with lately.
There were three “panelists” brought in to share their perspective on the topic of School Choice, Olivia, Marlys and Julie. All of the moms happen to live in N/NE, despite trying to more moms from other areas. Below are the questions we made beforehand, and most were covered, but not necessarily in this order:
- Can you tell us a bit about your family, like how old are your kids and what neighborhood you live in?
- What research did you do to learn about your school options?
- Did you feel like you had a choice? What recommendations do you have for parents whose neighborhood school has a bad reputation?
- What factors were most important to you in choosing a school (location, test scores, diversity, special focus)?
- What's most important now that your kids are in school; good principal, teachers, ratio, etc? Are you happy with the school?
- Is joining the PTA the best way to get involved in your school? Are there other mechanisms for getting involved? Is fundraising key? Or legislative lobbying?
- What do you wish you would have known earlier? Or still want to learn?
Tuesday, September 8, 2009
The focus of the meeting will be volunteering. Abby Coppet from City of Portland Better Together (http://www.portlandonline.com/index.cfm?c=49042) will attend the meeting. She will also bring someone from Hands on Portland (http://www.handsonportland.org/HomePage/index.php/home.html) to talk about current family friendly volunteer opportunities and to determine if we want them to organize something just for cityMamas. We will also discuss if we want to adopt another family for the holiday season. See you then.