Twice "Baked" Potato
Time - 45 min
Servings - 4
2 large russet potatoes
1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese
4 strips turkey bacon
1/4 c or more low-fat milk
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
2 head broccoli
low-fat sour cream
1. Pierce each potato with a fork, place on a folded paper towel and cook in the microwave for 8 minutes on high, flipping over at 4 minutes. Check to make sure the potatoes are soft all through big piercing with a fork. If not soft, cook for another 2-4 minutes. When the potatoes are done, place on a wire rack to cool. Wait at least 15 minutes or more.
2. While the potatoes are cooking and cooling, cook the bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Cool on a paper towel. When you can handle the bacon, break into 1/2 inch pieces.
3. Also while the potatoes are cooking, cut the broccoli florets from the stalk. Chop the chives.
4. When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut each in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop out the soft whites, leaving the skin intact. Error on the side of leaving more whites in the potato to keep from puncturing the skin. Place the potato white in a bowl and mash. Mix in cheese, bacon, milk and salt and pepper. Adjust the amount of milk to your desired consistency.
5. Scoop the potato whites back into the skins, allowing it to mound up slightly. Place back in the microwave and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes to make sure all cheese melts. Set on 4 plates to cool slightly. [One half a potato equals one serving.]
6. While the potatoes are cooking and cooling again, steam the broccoli until just fork tender. Place on plates with potatoes. Serve with chives and sour cream as toppings.
Notes - If you double or triple the number of potatoes, you need to add 1 minute for each potato the the original cooking time in step 1. To keep the leftovers, let the potatoes cool completely to room temperature. Double wrap each individually in plastic wrap and place in fridge. Just reheat each in the microwave and serve with veggies. Steamed beens, small salad or cooked corn kernels are great side dishes.