Moroccan Lamb Patties
Servings = 4
Time = 20 min
1/2 teaspoon salt
1½ cups couscous
Freshly ground pepper
1 pound lean ground lamb (or beef)
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
½ medium onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground allspice
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 Roma tomato, diced
Tzatziki (0r plain yogurt)
1. In a small saucepan, bring 1½ cups water and salt to a boil. Stir in the couscous, cover and remove from the heat. After 5 minutes, fluff the couscous with a fork; season with pepper. Cover to keep warm.
2. In a bowl, combine the beef, garlic, onion, paprika, cinnamon, cumin, allspice, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 tablespoons parsley and 1 teaspoon salt. Form into 8 patties.
3. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef patties and cook for about 3 minutes on each side for medium-rare or until done.
4. Fluff the couscous again with a fork and add remaining parsley and tomatoes.
5. Serve two patties with couscous and tzatziki in a pita.
Humus, olives and cucumber are good additions to this meal. My daughter doesn't like the couscous with parsley and tomato, so I reserve a little plain couscous for her.